Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
Considered by many the "Gold Standard" in Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery
- Most commonly performed weight loss surgery
- Outstanding weight loss (superior to the Lap-Band)
- Excellent choice for those with a sweet tooth
- Covered by virtually all insurance plans
- Performed for longest period of time with the most amount of data
When chronically obese celebrities Carnie Wilson, Al Roker and Star Jones decided to change their lives with surgical weight loss, the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass was their bariatric procedure of choice.
Frequently referred to as gastric bypass surgery, Roux-en-Y has been a trusted surgical weight-loss procedure for more than 40 years.
Gastric bypass surgery combines both restriction (reduction of the stomach volume or capacity) as well as malabsorption (bypass of the intestinal tract) to achieve a >80% excess weight loss in most individuals.
The gastric bypass has been performed for a longer period of time and on more patients than any other surgery for weight loss.
Laparoscopic Associates conducts the procedure laparoscopically and is proud to report a 0% leak rate and a 0% mortality rate in more than 2000 patients!
Because of this outstanding record, LAPSF has been named the best surgical weight loss program
in the State Of California since 2009 by HealthGrades!
Gastric Bypass Surgery Gets Results
After the Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery, patients benefit from smaller stomachs and less caloric absorption. They eat less food, absorb fewer calories, and, as a result, begin shedding excess pounds. On average, patients who undergo Roux en Y gastric bypass surgery experience a >80% loss of excess weight and attain their goal weight within 12 months. The gastric bypass helps individuals who find it difficult to resist sweets and sugar to change their habits through negative reinforcement. When a sweet or sugar is consumed after a gastric bypass, the patient who has undergone a bypass feels sick from the rapid release of insulin and uptake of fluid by the intestine which occurs causing what is referred to as "The Dumping Syndrome". Symptoms of the dumping syndrome include nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and heart palpitations. While not dangerous, these symptoms prove very useful in helping with behavior modification and reduction of the consumption of sugar and sweet foods.
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery: How it Works
Click to enlarge
Gastric bypass surgery involves three main steps:
1. Creation of a new smaller 1 ounce stomach (gastric pouch).
This restricts the volume of food that can be consumed and the capacity of the stomach.
2. Bypass of 3 to 5 ft. (about 20%) of the small intestine.
Also bypasses the portion of the stomach that produces Ghrelin, the hormone that stimulates hunger resulting in a reduction of appetite.
3. The gastric bypass essentially creates 2 channels in the intestinal tract - one for the food and a second for the digestive juices. The two channels are re-joined so that vitamins and protein can be adequately absorbed, but caloric absorption is reduced.
The Advantages of the Gastric Bypass Weight Loss Surgery Procedure
Laparoscopic Associates remarkable results:
- Estimated weight loss >80% (superior to adjustable gastric band or Lap-Band)
- Resolution of diabetes >90%
- Resolution of obstructive sleep apnea >95%
- Resolution of hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and triglycerides ) >80%
- Resolution of hypertension >75%
- Sugar consumption discouraged due to "dumping syndrome"
- The intestinal bypass is minimal causing fewer malabsorptive complications than the duodenal switch
- Most commonly performed weight loss surgery
- Laparoscopic approach is the standard method at Laparoscopic Associates
Post-Op Dietary Plan: What to expect
As with all surgical weight-loss programs, it is imperative that Roux en Y patients adhere to dietary recommendations following surgery. This is both to minimize the postoperative problems that are encountered as well as to assure that nutritional requirements are met. Laparoscopic Associates offers a personalized, comprehensive aftercare program. Using a multi-disciplined approach with our surgeon and Registered Dietitian, we walk you every step of the way to ensure success. While the overall plan involves a healthy "lean and green" strategy, LAPSF educates each patient in the long-term eating strategy that will lead to satiety and a defined sense of fullness as well as how to minimize appetite.
Is Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery for You?
To gain a better understanding of your personal weight-loss needs, please use our BMI Calculator to determine your current Body Mass Index.
Learn more about bariatric surgery to understand the specific benefits of each of our weight-loss surgeries.
If you are interested in pursuing a Roux en Y gastric bypass procedure, or any other surgical weight-loss solution with Laparoscopic Associates, please complete our Online Registration Form. To schedule a surgical consultation with one of our doctors, please contact us via email or toll free at 866-957-3627.
Contact us via email or phone or register for an appointment.
Use our free online bmi calculator,
meet a Dr. Cirangle, or read about the duodenal switch or morbid